Malaysia’s Infantry Fighting Vehicle (MIFV) played an important role as part of the U.N. peacekeeping force in Bosnia.
The MIFV is derived from the Korean Infantry Fighting Vehicle, KIFV or otherwise known as the K-200.
The model depicted is constructed using Academy’s 1/35 KIFV K-200 kit model no. 1385 as a base platform to represent the MIFV.
This model is built for SFTPMS 50th Merdeka Group Build as a tribute to Malaysia’s 50th Merdeka Anniversary and also to the brave soldiers of the Malaysian Armed Forces that served in Bosnia as part of the United Nations Peace Keeping Force.
Work begins with the interior and by constructing a new bench seat as the interior seat arrangements of the kit do not correctly represent the seat configuration of the MIFV.
The long bench is constructed from plasti-card and some spare styrene pieces. Once the base frame is constructed, the seat cushions which are made from two part Tamiya epoxy putty is added on.
After finishing with the long bench, the commander and gunner seat is detailed up by adding grab handles and support / lift bars.
To represent the interior of an MIFV as much as possible, details like internal tie down handles and straps, side cushions and some piping are added.
Thin wire was used for the tie down handles whilst the pipes were made from brass wire. The tie down straps is made from Tamiya masking tape and the cushions from two part Tamiya epoxy putty.
On the external part of the model, I decided to open up the left side pair of firing ports.
First I made a basic copy of the existing firing port profile from Tamiya masking tape. Having got the basic profile, I transferred the masking tape profile onto a thin piece of plasti-card and then it’s simply a matter of cutting along the outline of the masking tape.
Once the new firing port covers were made, a pair of holes was drilled into the hull using the existing mould detail for positional reference. After careful clean up, the remaining details of the original firing ports are sanded away until smooth and level with the surface of the hull.
The newly made covers are glued into place and the stop lug and swivel nut made from stretched sprue is added.
After opening up the firing ports, I trimmed off all the external moulded on tie down handles and replaced them with thin wire.
Before trimming the moulded tie downs away, careful note is made of where each of the tie downs are located so that all the replacement tie downs will not be glued in the wrong position.
I chose to have the rear drop down hatch in the open position. The kit door is sadly lacking in this area if the drop down hatch is to be posed open. The interior portion of the hatch is not provided at all. This means that a covering for it will have to be constructed.
I used plastic card cut to the general shape of the hatch and then scribed the outline of the door onto the plasticard. After scribing the door outline, I added details the miscellaneous details like door handle, bolt fastener and step guards.
A distinctive feature of the MIFV is the signal lights and side wing mirror attachment on the main headlight hood. The side signal lights were made from plasti-card and the wing mirror mount post from brass wire that is bent to shape.
Decals used were from the kit. They were thin, easy to apply and performed very well without any silvering.
Following are pictures of the completed MIFV. Weathering was done by post spraying with heavily thinned smoke and application of oils.
The spare track link mounting lugs were scratchbuilt from 3mm styrene rod and some stretched sprue.
Special mention of thanks goes to SFTPMS member Aidy for his beautiful and excellent number plates and stencils and also to Thomas for his help with the excellent references.