from Part 3 where we last stopped, Part 4 continues on the engine compartment superdetailing works.
As indicated in the last part, a collar was cut from 1.5mm thick placard and fitted tight around the 2 halves of the fuselage intakes. It is worthwhile to note that this peculiar construction sequence has been abandonned by Airfix in the new FRS1A kit. For tackling this problem, new panels were also cratchbuild to simulate the tapering walls leading to the middle of the intake while a hollow ring was but and fitted to the engine fan blade. This will be visible when viewed from the front. As for the wings, the centre was cut open and new ribbing introduced. Due to a lack of references, this was roughly based on some rather low res pictures from the net, captured from a fantastic build in IPMS UK. The opening of this panel meant some side walls will need to be cut and added, using a comb profile tool. By now the wings have been upgraded by cutting off all the slates and replacing them with the PE parts, which gave it a nicer edge and scale. The flaps are workable though barely and there is room for improvement here. I opted not to as this build was getting too near the 1/24 scale GB deadline.
After this, the attention quickly went on to the replacement front undercarriage cast in white metal. Cleanup was necessary to get rid of some bumps and seam lines and after drilling out the connection holes, a paper clip was used and cut to size to slot in the pieces. The wires in the addition consists of 4 layers of PE which I reduced to 2 given the odd thickness of 4 layers. A bit of additional wores will be required to complete the picture. At a later stage I added some replacement lenses salvaged from molibe phone accessories stickers, sprayed with clear red for one particular lense.
As for the main undercarriage, the instruction from Flightpath was straightfoward to change the hub details with the PE provided. The most cumbersome step here was the cutting and sanding of the original resin hub detail. I found out very much later that a good part of the resin will needed to be shaved to allow the side wheels to touch the ground.
The front wheel doors were thinned on the edges ( see pic) and later had their hinges replaced with scratchbuilt parts though the Flightpath PE would serve their purpose adequately.
In the last part, we will move on to the build notes on the ordnance and the final painting processes.