Bukit Kepong [Part 2]

This is the 2nd part (of 3) of this wonderful vignette by CP Tan in the artists' own words.

My original idea is to have 3 Polis Melayu in the vignette. I've read articles that mentioned about the heroic action of the wives who wielded weapons taken from their fallen husband in their efforts to defend the the station... So I've decided to "replace" one of the man with a woman figure in my vignette to shows the bravery of the opposite sex.

Head Conversion: Image A is the original kit. I picked this one because he's the smallest guy between his brothers. The conversion is made on the forehead, nose, eyes so that "she" has the Asian look. Image 3 was taken after I discarded all the shirt detail and shaved her bald.

Image

The Hair: The back view.

Image

Notice the "bump" starts to emerge on the chest...

Image

The front view.

Image

The Legs:Plastic rod (balloon sticks) and copper wire were used as skeleton.

ImageImage

The Test Fit: I wanted to show the woman kneeling beside the fallen husband, so the test fit.

Image

The 'Baju Melayu' (Malay Shirt) and Sarung: Sarung was made from rolled thin epoxy putty, laid on the "kneeling legs" piece by piece and detail "folds" were added. I made her wearing the short baju Melayu rather than the long Baju Kurung as I thought it would be more appropriate since the incident started at night when all family members were asleep.

Image

The Final Pose:Skeleton arms from copper wire.

Image

The completed figure.... Note the toes are added last.

Image

Stage Rehearsal: Since the vignette is in 1:20 scale (odd scale), I can't find any commercial weapons available. So I've Scratchbuilt them.... I needed a British made LMG (Light Machine Gun) and a rifle in that period. After searching photos and further research, I concluded that the weapon will be a BREN machine gun and a LEE- Einfield MK rifle.

First I got the scaled down size right... calculated the scale down measurement then resized the captured photo into the scaled down size. Print out and trace them on Tamiya 1mm plastic card to get the basic shape.

Image

Then cut 0.03 plastic card into stripes and glue on to the base to form the detail.

ImageImage

The MK rifle needed no gun barrel (hidden) while for the BREN, I'm using office paper clip, detailed with putty... eg. handle grip, the distinctive conical flash hider(muzzle booster) on the barrel front... Lastly the bipod was constructed with sewing pin. Note that I've made them in open position, to indicate the weapon was picked up from it's last positioned on a pile of sand bags while defending the station.

ImageImage

OK, now comes the figures. All ready for painting. I've already shown the lady figure (I named her "the FAMILY") in full on the earlier section... here're the men, Some part are made separate for easy painting and alignment to hold the BREN. Here's "the GUNNER"

Image

And "the FALLEN"

Image 

FACES PAINTED!! Images A are the primary sculpt. Images B are my concluded sculpt, Although as Beachbum always said there're still few more thing to correct on the head sculpt... I just get too boring of looking and sculpting on the same heads to get more fine detail for too long.... The truth is I'm LAZY. So to escape from my laziness on detail sculpting these heads, I just short cut the process with my painting skills...Images C (eyebrows no paint yet)!!

The GUNNER

Image

THE FALLEN

Image

THE FAMILY

Image

Finally, everything goes on stage for final rehearsal before full painting. The positioning of these 3 figures are based on my initial drawing.

ImageImageImage